Self Tanning Tips and Tricks
Self tanners are one of my favorite things, there is no excuse to be basking in the suns cancer causing rays anymore. Although sunless tanning is wonderful, it can sometimes be messy, lead to orange skin, or even worse – orange blotchy skin. Follow these simple steps, and you will be a golden beauty, blotch free.
- EXFOLIATE! I cannot stress this enough, self tanners work on the top layer of the skin, turning the dead skin cells bronze. If you don’t exfoliate you are setting yourself up to be blotchy. Since the body self exfoliates irregularly you need to do it manually to make sure that everything is even. Some of my top picks for body exfoliators are:
- Sephora Sugar Body Scrub ($18)
- Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish ($38-$65)
- Bliss Hot Salt Scrub ($36)
- Bliss Super Minty Soap and Scrub ($30)
- For rough areas like elbows and knees, use a lemon that’s cut in half. The citric acid helps to exfoliate.
- If you’re going out for a big event you want to avoid waxing, it causes a rash immediately after, and it causes in grown hairs. Shave prior to tanning, it exfoliates and gives you a smooth surface to work with.
- Moisturize OVER the self tanner, self tanners are not very moisturizing, you want to put the moisture back in the skin. Imagine dry scaly legs, they are still dry and scaly after you apply the self tanner, which isn’t very sexy.
- Try a body oil. The best way to oil up your skin is to apply it in the shower. The steam helps it to penetrate deeper, and the water removes any excess. Towel dry after.
- One of the best self tanner tricks that I have ever heard is to apply the tanner with a puff. Use a large velour puff, this limits streaking, make sure you don’t deposit too much on the elbows and knees.
- Layering self tanner is important if you want to achieve a dark bronze color, the way to do this is to use a hairdryer over the tanner to make it dry faster, make sure you avoid doing this to your face.
- Add some shimmer, you don’t want to look like a disco ball, but some shimmer is beautiful. Either use a light shimmering lotion, or scrape some sheer shimmery eye shadow into you lotion.
- Highlight! Just like you would hightlight your face, you can highlight the body. Place the highlighter on all of your high points.
- One of the biggest problems with self tanners is that it can ruin your clothes, avoid that by putting a golden loose powder over the décolleté, arms, and legs.
- If you do end up with a self tanning boo-boo, make sure you act fast! St. Tropez Tan Remover is a lifesaver, it works for up to 4 hours after the application.